Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Concepts Unit 2 - April 22, 23


Intro to Computing to Computer Concept/Applications


Unit 2 - Understanding the Parts (Hardware)
www.computerhope.com


In this unit, we will look at your computer’s hardware— the physical components of the computer.
·         A computer does 4 main things: inputs data, process the data into information, outputs this information, and stores this information.
·         The system unit is the box that contains the central electronic components – RAM, CPU, hard drive, power unit, etc.
·         Peripheral devices—monitors, printers, keyboards, speakers, etc. Basically anything attached to the system unit.

Section 1 - Input Devices

An input device is any hardware device that sends data to the computer, without any input devices, a computer would only be a display device and not allow users to interact with it, much like a TV.
Examples:  Mouse, Keyboard....


Section 2 - Output Devices
Any hardware device that receives or displays output from a computer.  
Examples:  Monitor, Speakers...


Section 3 - Storage Devices
Alternatively referred to as storagestorage media, or storage medium, a storage device is a hardware device capable of holding information. The hard drive of the computer is referred to as the 'secondary' storage and is usually internal. The secondary storage could also be a removable or external
Examples....


Section 4 - What's in the Box?

The system unit is the box that contains the central electronic components
·         Motherboard - The motherboard is a printed circuit board that is the foundation of a computer and allows the CPURAM, and all other computer hardware components to function and communicate with each other.
·         RAM - Alternatively referred to as main memoryprimary memory, or system memoryRandom Access Memory (RAM) is a computer storage location that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations within DRAM on a memory module. Because information is accessed randomly instead of sequentially like a CD or hard drive the computer is able to access the data much faster than it would if it was only reading the hard drive. However, unlike ROM and the hard drive RAM is a volatile memory and requires power in order to keep the data accessible, if power is lost all data contained in memory lost.
·         CPU - Alternatively referred to as the brain of the computerprocessorcentral processor, or microprocessor, the CPU is responsible for handling all instructions it receives from hardware and software running on the computer.
·         Hard Drive - the computer's main storage media device that permanently stores all data on the computer.
·         Power Unit - The Power Supply Unit is an internal hardware component used to supply the components in a computer with power by converting potentially lethal 110-115 or 220-230 volt alternating current (AC) into a steady low-voltage direct current (DC) usable by the computer.
·         Expansion  Slots - An expansion slot is an opening located inside a computer on the motherboard that allows additional boards to be connected to it. For example, if you wanted to install a new video card in the computer you'd purchase a video expansion card and install that card into the compatible expansion slot.
·         Ports  - A hardware port or peripheral port is a hole or connection found on the front or back of a computer that allows computers to access external devices such as computer printers


23 comments:

Computer Storage Devices said...

it goes like this, my pc just say device not recognizet to every pendrive I plug in, my mouse and keyboard that are usb devices works perfectly without a single problem but use drives are another history.
need to fix this situation as soon as posible
lacie hard drives

Anonymous said...

What is an USB External Sound Card Audio Adapter?

promotional merchandise

Anonymous said...

Hi I really appreciate all the great content you have here. I am glad I cam across it!
IT Support

Jhon Marshal said...

Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
cheap mechanical keyboards

Unknown said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
dock station

Anonymous said...

I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
computer repair gonzales

Jr. Williams said...

Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
recycle old computers

Jr. Williams said...

The blog article very surprised to me! Your writing is good. In this I learned a lot! Thank you!
hard drive destruction

John Adam said...

Good writing...keep posting dear friend
slow computer

Jhon Marshal said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
how to learn reverse engineering

Smith said...

I was searching for that post.Fortunately, I found it on right time.Thanks again for sharing.
laptop repair san antonio

Isabel Bent said...

Beautifully presented information here in your blog.I am really impressed from the wonderful writing.Keep it up!
mice

Jhon Marshal said...

Congrats, determination and hard working never get bad result.
network support west palm beach

Jhon Marshal said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
computer repair service

Jhon Marshal said...

I really loved reading your thoughts, obviously you know what are you talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder
computer maintenance tips

Jhon Marshal said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
network support

Jhon Marshal said...

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
computer technician

Jhon Marshal said...

You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you, hopefully you keep posting new stuff, many thanks
computer repair shops

Jhon Marshal said...

I think this post will be a fine read for my blog readers too, could you please allow me to post a link to my blog. I am sure my guests will find that very useful.
computer technician

Jhon Marshal said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I really feel strongly about it and love learning more on that topic. If achievable, as you gain competence, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is highly helpful for me.
computer maintenance

Jhon Marshal said...

This discussion unexpectedly takes my attention to join inside. Well, after I read all of them, it gives me new idea for my blog. thanks
IT support company

Jhon Marshal said...

I have been reading a lot of stuff about it. but it is different presented, i loved to read this. keep it up.
computer service provider

Jhon Marshal said...

Thank you so much, this a great help. brief description for submission thanks.
Online computer repair